Spinach is an excellent vegetable, it has a large amount of fibers, which makes it ideal for digestion; vitamin K, which contributes to blood circulation; and vitamin A, which prevents diseases and wear and tear on the eyes.
Spinach needs to be prepared correctly in order to make the best use of its properties and not to lose them; cooking it will also destroy its cell walls, which will allow its nutrients to be absorbed much easier.
Before knowing how to prepare spinach before cooking it, you should know that it is a vegetable very rich in iron, which when cooked can be used a lot to increase the defenses of your immune system and the transfer of oxygen from your body.
Choosing spinach to cook
Choosing spinach is simple, but you should always know which ones are suitable for cooking; the aspects that you should take into account are:
- Go for the shoots that have not flowered and are younger.
- The color of the leaves should be bright green, intense and even; also, they should look fresh and tender
- Discard spinach with rough, dark-spotted leaves. Likewise, spinach that looks stringy on the stems and is discolored are not an option.
By following these simple criteria, choosing those spinach that can add a delicious flavor to different dishes is much easier. Spinach that complies with all of the above, can be used much more for being in good condition, healthy and with each of its components waiting to be used.
Cleaning and cooking the spinach
Cleaning the spinach is very important to eliminate all the residues and bacteria that they may have. To do this, you must place the spinach in a colander, there you will select the leaves, if you find some that look slimy or wilted you must discard them.
You must place the strainer under the stream of the sink and start washing the spinach with cold water ; If you shake the strainer, the leaves can move so that any dirt they may have is removed more easily.
The thorns must be cooked boiled ; To do this you must place ⅓ cup of water for each cup of spinach. You can add a splash of olive oil so that they have a lot more density when you take them out.
Both the water, the spinach and the oil should be placed in a frying pan, where you will cook them over low heat until they show signs of being ready; You will notice that they are when their leaves look greener or more withered. Make sure you don’t overcook them as they get a sticky, slimy consistency that is not very appetizing.
By following these steps, you can cook spinach without losing its flavor, taking advantage of each of its nutrients when tasting it.
Recipes for cooking spinach
Below, you can find various recipes with spinach as the protagonist; By following them, you can prepare dishes for every moment of the day. Each of the recipes you will see balances the distinctive flavor of spinach to offer you a dish loaded with nutrients and excellent benefits.
To prepare the spinach cream you will need:
- Evaporated milk.
- Olive oil.
You must follow the following steps:
- Cut the garlic and onion.
- Then you will fry them in the olive oil for a moment until they brown.
- After this, you must prepare the spinach; First you must remove its stem (you can do it by hand or with the help of a knife), then cut them into different pieces and join them with garlic and onion.
- At this time, you add water to cover the spinach completely, also adding a pinch of salt to taste.
- When the water starts to boil, you should wait 10 to 15 minutes until the spinach is removed from the heat.
- Once this is done, you must pour a part of the water into the sink (it can be about a third) and the rest will be placed in the blender ; there it will be mixed until obtaining a consistency that is satisfactory to you; you can add more water in case it is too thick.
- At this point, the next thing is to add the milk until it is properly integrated; you can taste the cream and see if it tastes good.
- The last step is to serve the cream on a plate ; you can eat it as a side or topping for other meals.
This dish is quite well known and an option that many choose; what you need to prepare it yourself is:
- Mozzarella cheese.
Follow these steps:
- The first thing is to make sure that the spinach is completely clean and ready to cook.
- Then it will cook in a pan with a little oil for 15 minutes.
- Before, the onion and garlic must be minced and then sautéed in the butter until golden brown.
- When the spinach is added and cooked, it is time to beat the eggs for the preparation of the omelette (they should have a foamy appearance); You should also cut the cheese into small pieces and add it to the eggs.
- The eggs are added to the pan and heat over low heat until they are cooked.
Spinach with garlic
Spinach with garlic is a simple dish that takes very little time and provides a large amount of nutrients, making it an excellent dish for athletes and diets. To prepare it requires:
- Olive oil.
The simple steps are:
The spinach should be cooked in a pot with water and a little salt, boiling for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When they are ready you must drain them, you can also use a spatula to remove the excess water that has accumulated.
- The spinach and garlic must be cut, and the second one should be sautéed in a little olive oil.
- When the garlic has browned, add the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes there.
- When it’s ready, you can add pepper and salt to taste for seasoning.
- Now it only remains to serve and taste this dish with satisfaction.
Spinach is an excellent vegetable with many benefits that are always worth considering. Adding this vegetable to your daily meals will provide you with an excellent source of nutrients, which also provides an exquisite flavor and multiple possibilities.