Vegetables are very nutritious foods that, sometimes, because we don’t have time, we exclude them from our diet. Sometimes we prefer to order delivery, which produces an unhealthy option. Cooking vegetables does not take long and they are not very elaborate meals. You can have it ready in a few minutes for lunch or dinner.
I recommend these ways of preparing vegetables, where you can maintain a balanced diet and it will not take long.
How to cook baked vegetables?
I recommend that you prepare vegetables in the oven if your time is just one hour. This option is widely used to consume it for dinner, since it is not a heavy dish. If this is the first time you are preparing this recipe, continually check the tray with the vegetables, so that you get the ideal point with which you want to taste them. The amount you use will be entirely up to you.
For the dressing you can add the following products (these measures usually vary, as it has to be to your liking):
- Zest from the skin of half a lemon
- A teaspoon of garlic powder
- Half a teaspoon of ground black pepper
- A teaspoon of fresh ginger
- Half a teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5-6 tablespoons of oil
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Peel the carrots and cut them lengthwise, in half.
- Wash and cut the roots of the mushrooms. Cut them into quarters.
- Wash and cut the zucchini and eggplant into thick slices, then cut 4-6 parts from each slice.
- Peel the pumpkin and cut it into thick slices.
- Cut the broccoli sprig in half, then each half in half, and every quarter again, until you have 8 parts of the sprig. I recommend that you wash it with cold water.
- You should cut the beets in the same way as the squash.
- Preheat the oven to 220 o C.
- To prepare the dressing, add all the ingredients in the same container, when they are well mixed, add the tablespoons of oil. You can use extra virgin olive oil.
- Use a wide tray and cover it with parchment paper before placing the vegetables. It is important that the vegetables do not remain on top of the others, as they will end up cooking more than roasting.
- Brush them with the dressing on both sides. I recommend that for the zucchini you place it in another bowl and stir it until it is impregnated. It is not good that you do the same with the aubergine, since it sucks a lot of oil and it will not be very tasty.
- Put the tray in the oven. Check every so often, as there are vegetables that cook faster than others.
- Serve and taste, although it is recommended that you consume it a little warm.
This dish is considered one of the most flexible since you can bake any type of vegetables.
How to cook boiled vegetables?
The boiling technique is one of the most recommended by hundreds of nutritionists, since it saves all the nutrients that vegetables provide. When cooking them, you can add other liquids in addition to water and salt, add broths or some type of alcohol (brandy or wine), this in order to give you different flavors.
Delicate vegetables should be boiled in small portions and the amount of water should be sufficient. There are different ways that you can use to boil your vegetables.
The vegetables are submerged in the boiling water in a time of 30 seconds, also depending on the cut and the type of vegetables they can last 2-3 minutes. I recommend that you use this technique if you want to remove the skins from vegetables, to fix the color (used for green vegetables) or to eliminate very strong odors and flavors.
The vegetables are cooked until they are medium, so that later you finish them in a sauté, grill or in a stew.
Vegetables al dente
This technique offers that when you bite the vegetables, you eat them easily, but that in the same way it maintains its texture and resistance.
How to steam vegetables?
Steaming is a great way to ensure that food maintains its nutrients and flavor. It is best to place the vegetables that have the same cooking time, so that you can calculate a preparation time.
- Green asparagus
- You should cut the broccoli and cauliflower into florets after washing them.
- Clean the asparagus and cut them into pieces ; cut the carrot and zucchini into slices. The zucchini can be left with the skin.
- In a pot add a little water, less than half. If you have specialty pots or steamers, they can make this task much easier.
- You must place a strainer inside the pot. This same I could not touch the water, it means that the pot has to be smaller than the strainer.
- Proceed to introduce the vegetables into the strainer or steamer.
- As soon as the water begins to boil, place it over medium heat and cover. Cooking can last between 8-19 minutes.
- Once they’re done, turn off the heat. When you have served it, add a dash of olive oil, a pinch of pepper and salt.
You can use the vegetables you want, although if the food is hard you can cut it into small pieces to advance its cooking.
How to cook sauteed vegetables?
You can sauté various vegetables, with which you should be careful is with the size of the cuts, this in case you decide to do everything at once.
Below I recommend the cuts that you should make, approximately, for vegetables.
- Spinach : pieces of 5 cm.
- Zucchini : canes 5 cm long. I recommend that you add it last, as they prepare very quickly.
- Broccoli : 4 cm per flower.
- Carrots : canes 5 cm long.
It is not necessary, but you can flavor the vegetables with garlic, ginger, onion or pepper. Once the vegetables are well washed, prepare them.
- You must heat the salten over high heat.
- Brush the vegetables with a little oil and add them to the pan.
- Add the aromas that you want to give to the preparation.
- Add a touch of salt and stir.
- When the vegetables begin to brown, add 3 drops of water, lower the heat, and finish cooking.
There are different ways for you to consume your vegetables, in addition, they do not present as much time in their procedures, so the time cannot be an excuse.